Re: Post Script vs. PDF

Subject: Re: Post Script vs. PDF
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- SIMPLYWRITTEN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 08:57:02 -0500

I'm not sure I know what you mean by the pros and cons. They're not
interchangeable, merely related. PostScript is actually a printer language
(a true language, BTW, with conditionals, math handlers, and everything),
while PDF is compressed, and optimized for viewing on monitors. PDF was
originally conceived as an archival format. The only place where these two
formats can serve the same purpose is in delivery to printers. Many printers
have taken PostScript files for years and many now accept PDFs, which have
good color definition and are extremely stable. PostScript is very tough to
view onscreen, so it isn't used for that purpose very often. In fact, that's
what Adobe's Type Manager is for, rendering PostScript fonts for the screen.
PostScript is raw material for PDF and a printer language. PDF is for
viewing.

Subject: Post Script vs. PDF

>Currently performing extensive research into the pros and cons of both of
>these formats. Would appreciate any and all input from the list.
>Off list comments also welcome.
>

>Patrick Warren
>pkwarren -at- csi -dot- com

Tim Altom
Adobe Certified Expert, Acrobat
Simply Written, Inc.
The FrameMaker support people
Ask about Clustar Method training and consulting
317.899.5882
http://www.simplywritten.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=