Re: Best Technical books

Subject: Re: Best Technical books
From: Michael Smith <smith -at- IO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 01:40:32 -0600

Howard Kaikow <kaikow -at- standards -dot- com> asked:
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 01:40:32 -0600
Sender: smith -at- schultz -dot- io -dot- com

>Does any body a list of the alleged best books in various subject
>areas, e.g., Visual Basic, Database, Word, Access, Excel, etc.?

If you're not familiar with O'Reilly, I recommend taking a look at
the list of titles on their website <http://www.ora.com>. Many of
their books are widely acknowledged as the standard references in
the subject areas they treat -- their book "Programming Perl", for
example, or their "Mastering Regular Expressions". They consistently
meet high standards -- very few clunkers.

There are many people out there who will suggest looking no further
if O'Reilly has a title on the subject you need. I'm not sure I'd
agree, but I don't think you could go too far wrong with that plan.

I've found the reader-posted reviews at Amazon.com to be a great
resource for honest opinions on tech books. They've often steered me
clear of bad books I might've otherwise been suckered into buying --
and toward sleepers I might not otherwise have considered picking up.

When I'm ready to buy, though, I always head for Bookpool
<http://www.bookpool.com>.

--
Michael Smith ~ Austin, Texas
smith -at- io -dot- com