Re: USA Today article demands printed documentation

Subject: Re: USA Today article demands printed documentation
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 15:35:46 -0500

Hallo:

I'll resist the urge to flame USA today and its topical McJournalism
(honestly, when it's slid under my hotel door, I read it) but the eternal
quest for the paperless office will never go away. I write printed docs. I
write on-line books. I write on-line help. I write newsletters, marketing,
HTML, javascript, etc., as do many of you.

However, I still prefer printed documentation with the computer hardware and
software tools that I use. I actually do read the book. I buy the resource
kits from Microsoft, I like the FrameMaker 5.5 printed documentation (liked
the 5.0 book better, don't like the on-line help). I even have a Chiltons
for each of my cars (and one left from when I had a motorcycle). Yes, I used
them. Perhaps, my life needs a new paradigm <g>. I recently chose not to
renew my PC Magazine subscription and now cruise the on-line site.

IMHO, the paperless office will be a reality only when there are no more
trees. Then, we will have other, more pressing problems.

I am not sure where this group can go with this topic, that it has not
already been. I vote for thorough reference documentation with computer
software, plus an on-line book (PDF?) that might describe some advanced
feature in-depth (such as Word Macros), and an on-line help system that (for
Windows) is WinHelp based (not HTML, it's not ready, and not Java, yet).
But, then, I am a tech writer (or, think I am), and more books means
employment and empowerment!!!!

Sean
mailto:sean -at- quodata -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=