Re: Web Authoring Tool

Subject: Re: Web Authoring Tool
From: Kim Nylander <nylanderk -at- IPIX -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 10:00:09 -0500

On 2/17/1999 8:34 AM, Brierley, Sean said:

>Another alternative is to use
>FrameMaker's HTML converter, though it is crude and I'd shy away from it, if
>I were you. Then, you could create an Adobe Acrobat PDF file from
>FrameMaker. This is my preferred way of creating an on-line book.

Have you had any luck using the HTML export in Frame Maker? I've been
using Ventura's HTML export with great success. The best feature has
been Ventura's ability to export HTML and PDF files with complete index,
table of contents, and table of figures. Everything is cross-referenced
based on what I have done in the manual, and makes my life a lot easier.

>Finally,
>you could use Corel Ventura to create an on-line HTML book using a Java
>applet called Barista. The user needs to be able to run the applet to use
>the book, but aside from that the Barista HTML seems to work pretty well.

The only problem that I've run into using Barista is browser
compatibility. I am not a Java programmer, nor am I an HTML expert. The
Barista manual version looked great in IE 4, but would not reliably open
in Netscape. It's a promising idea. However, you have to know how to
tweak it just right to make it a viable option.

Ventura's HTML export has worked reliably, and with minimal retouching.

Regards,

Kim Nylander

Technical Writer
Interactive Pictures