Re: Tech Writer in Corporate Communications Dept.

Subject: Re: Tech Writer in Corporate Communications Dept.
From: Melonie Holliman <melonie -dot- holliman -at- TXEXMTA4 -dot- AMD -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 09:13:11 -0600

Howdy,

I started my career in corporate communications. I left the company
to work at another for awhile. Now I am back working in an Engineering
department. I do see some differences at this company.

Corporate is broader (know a little about a lot of products) where
engineering
is deeper (know a lot about a few products). Corporate is a service
department
which means it is a bit under appreciated and a bit more political.
Engineering
has bigger shake ups as products come and go.

I enjoyed my time in corporate and learned a lot about the publishing
industry.
Now, I am learning more about the products themselves and the product
industry.

Melonie Holliman
Tech writer
AMD, CPD

I would like to hear from any tech communicators who work or have
worked in a Corporate Communications department. How is it different
from working in an Engineering department? What are the positive and
negative aspects?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=