Re: Status of HTML-based Help

Subject: Re: Status of HTML-based Help
From: Carla Lotito <Carla_Lotito -at- BAAN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 15:09:18 -0500

Yes, I guess you could use Onload for splash screens, but can it be done
easily for other things such as buttons to appear on a page?

Perhaps, but it would have to be specified on every html page from which you
want to call it, not globally to a project. You could create a script in a
.js file but you would still need the reference to the .js file in every
html file in which you want to use the function.

This brings the level of difficulty up a notch from winhelp, I think. Since
there are not many tools that help you create javascript from scratch (if
someone knows of any, let me know!), unlike winhelp (tools such as
doc-to-help had wizards to create macros), you really have to know what you
are doing in Javascript to implement these simple features that we all used
in winhelp quite easily.

Many doors are opened with HTML Help but you have to know what you are doing
more so than in winhelp if you want to do even minor customization.

Carla.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=