Re: Status of HTML-based Help

Subject: Re: Status of HTML-based Help
From: "Weisner Associates Inc." <info -at- WEISNER -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:28:03 -0600

Hi Bob,

A good resource for you might be http://www.htmlbasedhelp.com , a vendor-independent web site for tech writers and help authors that are considering a wide-variety of options for building HTML-based Help systems. There's extensive information in the How To section devoted to converting WinHelp to HTML Help. Let me know if I can be of any service.

Best regards,

Ben Weisner
________________________________
Weisner Associates Inc.

Online Information Consulting and Training Services
http://www.weisner.com

The Truth is Out There!
http://www.htmlbasedhelp.com

At 10:47 AM 2/22/99 , Bob Johnson wrote:
>My supervisor and I were discussing conversion from Winhelp to HTML-based
>Help (probably MS HTMLHelp; we're an NT shop). The latest information I've
>had is that HTML-based Help is still a little short of full development,
>even though MS has released its version.
>
>I do have a copy of _Intercom_, STC's magazine, from last summer, with an
>assessment of HTML-based Help, but that information is at least 9 months
>old. I'm wondering where the development of HTML-based Help stands in early
>1999.
>
>And though I said we're probably oriented toward the MS version, I'm
>interested in hearing about all forms that are in development. After all,
>there's no way of guessing which will become the standard in the future.
>
>I'd welcome both personal views, and recommendations for print/online
>sources of information on this issue.
>
>Bob Johnson
>Technical Writer
>Celerity Solutions