TechWhirl (TECHWR-L) is a resource for technical writing and technical communications professionals of all experience levels and in all industries to share their experiences and acquire information.
For two decades, technical communicators have turned to TechWhirl to ask and answer questions about the always-changing world of technical communications, such as tools, skills, career paths, methodologies, and emerging industries. The TechWhirl Archives and magazine, created for, by and about technical writers, offer a wealth of knowledge to everyone with an interest in any aspect of technical communications.
To this, I'd add that if you can get the doc to open in Word at all,
saving it as an RTF. You'll keep your formatting intact and the
characters may disappear. Or they may not. They're often unwelcome
into my headers and footers.
That's a good idea. I had limited luck with the RTF format. You might enjoy
greater success if you can indeed save as RTF, then possible check over/edit
the RTF version before closing it. Be careful though!
Has anyone been able to get an admission from Microsoft as to why these
I have determined only that they MAY be due to making multiple formatting
steps between saves (i.e. create a column, then a table, then insert a
graphic, then undo or delete something). I've got several other theories as
well; however, I think I'm better off stating them in an X-files/conspiracy