Re: Yearly Review

Subject: Re: Yearly Review
From: Michele Marques <mmarques -at- CMS400 -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 09:43:27 -0500

Michael Gos <mgos -at- LEE -dot- EDU> said that part of the problem was with tech.
writers taking jobs that incorporate tech. writing only as part of the job.

I think this depends on the other part of the job. For example, in my previous
position I was tech. writer/trainer - so both positions were in technical
communications of some form, and both aspects of my job were valued... the
importance of each depending on the current needs and deadlines.

On the other hand, even 'though I really wanted to leave that place for a number
of years (it wasn't the job, it was a particular person), I did not take one of the
first positions I was offered. This position was for tech. writer/programmer. I had
the feeling that the tech. writing side would always be seen as less important,
and besides, I don't enjoy working as a programmer (yes, I've held many
different types of jobs in the computer industry).

Michele Marques
Technical Writer, CMS Manufacturing
mmarques -at- cms400 -dot- com
905-477-4499 x280