Re: Word--AAUGH!

Subject: Re: Word--AAUGH!
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 13:33:58 -0500

John Gilger [mailto:jgilger_it -at- NV -dot- DOE -dot- GOV]

> StarOffice seems to be a pretty good package, but you have to
> be running Linux/Unix to use it Emacs and vi are also extremely solid,
> stable text editors.

No, there is a Windows version of StarOffice.
Reads and writes Word files, too.

Free for home use, something like $50 for corporate. http://www.stardivision.com
Be prepared for a LONG download, or buy a CD. It is a massive integrated package, with database, spreadsheet, presentation, HTML, and bitmap and vector graphics sections. Took me 11 hours to download at 28.8.

I use it at home.
I have to, for file compatibility. I need to be able to read Word 98 files, and I only have Word 95 at home.

I'm not %100 happy with it, but I haven't crashed it hard or had it corrupt a file. I only use it at home, for less challenging projects, so I don't know how stable it is under stress. The graphics modules are very, very nice.

I have no financial connection to StarDivision.

---
Office:
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Home:
nax -at- execpc -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=