Re: Bad Idea

Subject: Re: Bad Idea
From: Gerry Bourguignon <GBourgui -at- LAVASYS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 15:27:34 -0500

>>If a company is interested only in hiring a person hailing from a certain
>>geographic location, a certain gender, a certain ethnic background, or
>>any other such criteria that may be less than politically correct, that
>>company should recruit via a forum that sympathizes with their
>>preferences.
>
>Actually, if Ethnic Background is a hireing line item, the company is
>destined for a day in court.

Several years ago, I was looking for a job as a machinist and was
flabbergasted to see an ad in a Toronto newspaper for a company seeking
applicants who had completed a "European apprenticeship" in the trade. I
decided the first thing to do would be to apply; then I would be calling the
labour board as soon as I got my "thanks but no thanks" response. However,
I suppose it backfired when they called me in for an interview and then
offered me the job. I turned it down because it was actually too far from
where I lived at the time. The European immigrant who interviewed me for
the job played down the European apprenticeship requirement when I asked him
about it, saying that they really meant an accredited apprenticeship program
of some kind (I had in fact completed an apprenticeship here in Ontario, or
I wouldn't have applied).

In any case, the wording of this particular job ad suggested to me that this
company was seeking applicants with a certain ethnic background, and that is
definitely not acceptable.

Regards,
--
Gerry Bourguignon