Re: Sometimes you get what you need...

Subject: Re: Sometimes you get what you need...
From: Linda Sherman <linsherm -at- GTE -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 15:45:59 -0500

Eric Ray wrote:

> At 06:25 AM 2/26/99 -0800, Meyerding, Henry W wrote:
> >The best way I have found to turn away from Word, with the blessing of the powers
> >that be, is to thoroughly document my use of the program: [etc.]
>
> This technique is invaluable whenever you find that hardware, software,
> or other intangibles keep you from working effectively or
> well AND your management isn't supportive of your needs.
[etc.]

Be warned that it doesn't always work.

I once worked at a large company where the president asked me for my
suggestions. I pointed out that there was only one terminal for every
two mainframe programmers, and because of that, the programmars could
really only work half a day. His reaction: he went to the VP of MIS and
told him to fire half the programmers! Fortunately, the VP talked him
out of it.

Moral of story: be sure you have your thumb on the pulse of company
politics (I didn't).

L.
--
Linda K. Sherman <linsherm -at- gte -dot- net>
Computer programming, technical writing, web development

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=