Nested tabs terminology

Subject: Nested tabs terminology
From: Keith Soltys <ksoltys -at- INTERLOG -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 10:43:03 -0500

I need some advice about how to describe a particular user interface

We are developing software that uses nested tab sets. Users of Microsoft
products will be familiar with tab sets in dialog boxes, such as the
Options dialog in MS Word, where clicking on a tab changes the underlying
dialog contents (property shee).

However, our developers have implemented something a little different in
that they have nested the tab sets. So, for example, you have two tabs in
a row, with three tabs in the second row. Clicking on the first tab in
the top row (call it tab A) displays tabs 1, 2, and 3 in the second row,
course each tab has its own properties. Clicking on tab B in the first row
displays tabs 4, 5, and 6 in the second row, instead of 1, 2, and 3.

My question is: what do you call the tabs in the second row?

Do you refer to them as tabs, as sub-tabs, or as something else (one of
our writers suggested tablets -- nice, but I'm hesitant to coin a new


From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=

Previous by Author: Dedicated Outliner
Next by Author: Nested tabs terminology summary
Previous by Thread: Re: Web browser colours
Next by Thread: Re: Nested tabs terminology

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads