An alternative standard for capitalization and other things

Subject: An alternative standard for capitalization and other things
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <lcporrel -at- ESSVOTE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 14:02:00 -0600

Hi, All.

Below is a copy of a discussion between me and another list member, David Downing (DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com), who is unable to post.

Along the lines of the discussion on capitalization, David offers another reference that might also be useful for other things such as doc management and indexing.

The messages are arranged with the oldest message first.

Leonard,

> I'm a former technical services librarian, and thought you might be
> interested to know that the official rules for cataloging books and other
> materials -- the Anglo-American cataloging rules, 2nd ed., (AACR2) --
> instruct you to capitalize only the first word of a title, except in
> certain
> specific cases.
>
> David

> David,
>
> Interesting. Thanks for the info. I think that the issue of what style to
> use would come down to what is most popular, and most people, I imagine,
> have never heard of the AACR, 2nd ed. By the way, who writes the AACR? Are
> their rules something that might help document managers and indexers.
> Please let me know!
>
> In any case, I'd be happy to forward your note to the list. Let me know.
>
> Leonard

Leonard
Actually, I *would* appreciate it if you'd forward my note to the
list.
Interestingly enough, AACR2 itself is geared toward doing what will
be most useful to most people. If you want a detailed but introductory
discussion of exactly what it is and who puts it together, you might check
out a book that was co-authored by yours truly, along with my mother:

Introduction to cataloging and classification, by Mildred Harlow Downing and
David H. Downing, 6th ed., McFarland, 1992.

Last time I checked, it was available through amazon.com, albeit
with a six-week waiting period. (It's not quite as big a seller as the
latest Stephen King novel.)

David

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000