2 spaces after period - reason why not

Subject: 2 spaces after period - reason why not
From: Kari Sable Burns <karinet -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 18:30:27 -0800

Hi:
I just wanted to add my two cents worth. I just now discovered a good way to
get extra spacebands out of documents, I'm sure it's common knowledge for
most people but just in case anyone is as slow to catch on as I was ...

Using Word I do a search for a " " (double spaceband, without the quotes)
with a replace for " " (one space band without the quotes) it zaps them
right out.

Kari Sable Burns, New Media Productions
Announcement Lists full of Opportunities
Grants, Scholarships & Awards: moneyfornothing-subscribe -at- onelist -dot- com
Greatest Jobs in the World greatjobs-subscribe -at- onelist -dot- com
Call For Papers cfp-subscribe -at- onelist -dot- com
Conference Alert ConferenceAlert-subscribe -at- onelist -dot- com

>So, when it comes down to it, using one space after a period has to do
>with esthetics just like the rule for putting quotation marks after
>periods and commas. Both were invented by typesetters just because they
>liked the way it looked.
>
>Sometime ask me why invitations are packed with those pesky paper sheets
>that (by custom) are supposed to be placed over the invitation before
>putting it in the envelope.
>
>Hope this is enlightening.
>
>Happiness, joy & laughter to all
>
>Jacque - Graphic Designer / Typesetter - Making Your Business
>Easier since 1972 - Pen & Ink Renderings of homes & Bldgs.
>& portraits from photos, Brochures, Ads, Flyers, Packaging, Business
>Forms, Manuscripts, etc. - email: foremangraphics -at- juno -dot- com
>Rendering Samples: http://www.abacus-es.com/foreman
>

>From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=