headhunter.net and other job boards

Subject: headhunter.net and other job boards
From: Michele Marques <mmarques -at- CMS400 -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 11:13:01 -0500

When I was looking for a job, I found that no matter the source of the job ad
(job board, newspaper ad), I often did not hear anything back; I only got a
response if someone was calling to set up an interview or get more information
from me. If you are applying to job board ads, check the date on the ad to
make sure you are applying to a recent posting; if it is old, it could be that the
company is well into the search and has not got around to taking down the ad
(or wants to get in resumes until they manage to fill the position).

On a positive note, I got my current position (where I am very happy) by
responding to a job board ad. I used the form on the web. I think part of my luck
was that I saw the ad a day or two after it was posted, and I think my company
had not yet put in a newspaper ad. Don't give up hope!

I also had a funny situation in my long job search.... for almost a year I had my
resume posted at a few web boards and heard nothing; then within a few
weeks, I got many responses (I was getting a response every couple of days).

Michele Marques
Technical Writer, CMS Manufacturing
mmarques -at- cms400 -dot- com
905-477-4499 x280