Re: Recruiters

Subject: Re: Recruiters
From: joe mulligan <jmulli -at- PHILLY -dot- INFI -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 16:31:41 -0200

-----Original Message-----
From: Linda Castellani <linda -at- GRIC -dot- COM>
Date: Thursday, March 04, 1999 6:20 PM

>Something that I have experienced with recruiters on more than one occasion
>is being pressured by the recruiter to accept the job. This happens before
>I even interview. These recruiters will say, "I need you to commit to me
>that if they offer you the job, you'll take it. Otherwise, I won't send
>you on the interview." I refuse to commit, and sometimes they send me and
>sometimes they don't, but that kind of pressure makes me feel very awkward
>about the whole thing, makes me feel very negative about the company I'm
>about to visit, and puzzled. They clearly don't care whether or not it's a
>good fit, all they care about is closing the sale.

Worse than that, Linda, is when you find that you weren't paid the rate that the client thought you would be getting from their agency supplier. I was told by the client co. rep that I should have been getting $40.00, when
I was getting only $30.00 because that was what I had asked the agency for when queried. Client was paying for a $40 writer (plus markup), and the agency pocketed 10/hr!! (But just for a while!!!!)
Or is this commonplace? Isn't 15% markup the industry std.?

I also get a kick out of some contract writers who say their forbidden to say what they're getting! When I asked my fellow contract writer about what her agency was paying her, she wouldn't say. But when I told her my hourly rate, she was aghast that although we were doing the same work, she recv'd $10/hr less than I! Sharing info is productive.

>Obligatory quote:
>"Live for today. Work like you don't need money; love like you've never
>been hurt; dance like nobody's watching."
> --- Christine Comaford, Managing Director of Artemis Ventures,
> upon receiving her award as one of the Top 25 Women of the Web
>Linda Castellani
>Technical Writer
>GRIC Communications, Inc.
>1421 McCarthy Blvd.