Re: Archive vs. Archives

Subject: Re: Archive vs. Archives
From: Jan Boomsliter <boomah -at- CONCENTRIC -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 21:52:40 -0800

Well now I'm thinking about what I should have in the first place: how is your doc going to be used? by whom? For example, are you telling your audience how to find and use archives, or telling them what's in the XYZ Reports archive? If the latter, seems to me the use of plural could be confusing.

no charge  :-)

Hi Jan,Thanks for your .02c (after taxes). The word "Report" is part of the title of the document, hence the capitalization. To complicate it even further, each (weekly) report is itself a compilation of 8-15 individual reports of various types.I think I agree with you that "archive" is preferable, but it seems that "archives" is the preferred colloquial term for one "archive." Even Webster's says archive is "often used in plural."This is all hair-splitting, but I can't seem to get a consensus as to which way to go. ARGH!Thanks,Larry