Re: [2] Request for Proposal forms

Subject: Re: [2] Request for Proposal forms
From: Rowena Hart <rhart -at- XCERT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 11:26:44 -0800

John,

>Do you honestly expect the contractor to give you front money AND do all
>the work to your satisfaction before you pay for the product?
>
>I can accept posting a bond in some situations, but payment should be
>made periodically throughout the contract. Usually this is tied to
>milestones and deliverables.

Note that I said "in situations where a number of
companies are competing for a large contract."
Posting a bond against the contract's completion
is a common practice, especially in government
contracts dealing with award sums greater than
$150,000. However, I DO ADMIT that bonds
are usually only required for contracts such as
road building, building construction, scientific
R&D projects, and survey work. The bond is used
as a stick to ensure that the contract is completed
to spec and on time. The bond is also usually
10% of the total contract award price and must
be delivered when the contract is signed.

Sorry if I caused any confusion, but I was just trying
to be thorough. Writing contracts would probably
not reach the size and costs mentioned above, so
you wouldn't have to worry about it. However, if you
are bidding for a writing contract that does not
specify PAYMENT TERMS then watch out -- you
could expect to be paid throughout the contract,
and find out three months in that the other person
expects to pay you at teh end of the contract.
Situation: bad.

Cheers, Rowena

Rowena Hart Technical Writer

Xcert International Inc.
1001-701 West Georgia Street Phone: 1 (604) 640-6210
Vancouver, BC, Canada V7Y 1C6 Fax: 1 (604) 640-6220
Web: http://www.xcert.com E-mail: rhart -at- xcert -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=