Re: About giving notice...

Subject: Re: About giving notice...
From: "Moore, Tracey" <TMoore -at- PARKERVISION -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 08:01:32 -0500

I quit my job and in the resignation letter offered my services as a
contractor and stated my restrictions (can only work off-hours) and my
hourly fee. I explained that it would take them much longer to fulfill
their contracts by hiring a new writer stating:

*It normally takes at least 2 months to recruit a tech writer
*A new writer has to learn their procedures and systems

I argued that using me would save them money and time. Well, they were
lukewarm to the idea and interviewed a couple of writers through an
agency. When the writer they liked quoted 6 weeks on a project I
originally quoted 3 days, they called me. I think they now see the logic
of using my services.

If you're not looking to contract for them after they hire someone new,
offer your services and be prepared to make a solid argument. This
arrangement will be uncomfortable for them, especially if they're never
used telecommuters before--so be sensitive to that. You may want to
offer to help them find a new writer too.

So I guess I'm saying, give it a shot. . .it worked for me.