Re: Needs and Wants of Employers

Subject: Re: Needs and Wants of Employers
From: "Eric L. Dunn" <edunn -at- TRANSPORT -dot- BOMBARDIER -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 16:24:15 -0500

It may be one of the points in the FTA but....

You often find that an employer may just not care about the technicalities
and does not want to deal with them. Even with the FTA if as a Canadian you
wish to work in the US there is still a lot of paper work to fill out and
sign. US Customs requires your birth certificate, school diplomas, resume,
and other documents on file. Including information about the payroll
details from the company for which you will be working. This is the kind of
bureacratic headache that companiues don't want to get so they'll ask
outright for an american. I suppose this works out to be a more subtle form
of government protectionism, the more blatant form being outlawed by the
FTA. Or it may be protectionism for the employer "american jobs for
americans" speaking.

On the note of customs, I've been at the recieving end of some very frosty
questions from the agents when going from Montreal to Plattsburgh. When
traveling by air I've only been asked to state that I was working for a
Canadian company and being paid as a Canadian to go on a week long business
trip as an instructor. Then it once took me a half hour to justify a day
trip to our assembly plant to see the equipment. Didn't help the agent had
no clue what a Technical Writer was or did. Next time through I said I was
with customer service and they waved me right through.
Eric L. Dunn

"Robyn Hume" <rhume -at- sunshine -dot- net> on 99/03/08 16:10:24

To: Eric Dunn/MTD/BTG/Bombardier, TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
cc:

It is my understanding that part of the Free Trade Agreement between Canada
and the USA allows Canadian Tech Writers to work in the USA without a green
card.

>>>-American citizenship
>MUST. They'll be looking for some for whom they do not have to deal with
>the whole green card employment eligibility issue.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=