Re: Opinions on Embedded Help?

Subject: Re: Opinions on Embedded Help?
From: Lauren Merritt <laurenm -at- ISE-TLX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 11:52:05 -0700

Matt Horn wrote:

Ok Ok, now I'm dying to see what embedded help is about. Anything that makes software developers happy has the potential to make me and my company happy.
Can someone point me to a piece of shareware that uses it or maybe send some screen caps showing what it is? Or a good URL? I work in a very small doc group and don't get out much. Thanks.

Matt--

Where I work, the software developers use Microsoft Visual Studio. Visual C++ is the specific application to which I was referring in discussing embedded help.

The help system in that application uses the Microsoft brand of HTML Help. You can find out more about HTML Help in general at the URL below. If you download HTML Help Workshop from this site, you'll see some examples of embedded help in that application as well. (You'll have to dig around a little, though.)

http://www.microsoft.com/workshop/c-frame.htm#/workshop/author/htmlhelp/default.asp

Wextech's HelpXtender is touted to make development of embedded help easy. (If you choose to use Doc-to-Help, that is.) I don't mean to blatantly promote any specific tool here; I'm just giving an example. You can learn about HelpXtender at this URL:

http://www.wextech.com/pr4hxoverview.htm

Good luck. Keep in mind that while I'm strongly in favor of embedded help, it requires very close cooperation between the programmer and help developer.

Lauren Merritt

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000