Re: There's more to it than grammar

Subject: Re: There's more to it than grammar
From: Lauren Merritt <laurenm -at- ISE-TLX -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 09:57:28 -0700

<Debbie Warren>

Don't you think that most users pick up a user's guide to locate how to do something or how to solve a problem? They usually have the big picture before they purchase the equipment or software

</Debbie Warren>

Debbie's statement may well be true in general, but doesn't apply in situations in which the user has nothing to do with purchasing. For example, I create user documentation to accompany software that drives large electronic message centers (as seen in stadiums, larger malls, and so on). These are very expensive systems, and the purchaser is usually the management of an athletic franchise or other business. The user, however, is often an employee, a student, etc., someone who hasn't had the opportunity to see the big picture until s/he picks up the user documentation a few minutes before game time.

As a result, I find it necessary to build the big picture into my user docs. This may not be as necessary for products that have a larger distribution base.

Lauren Merritt

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000