Re: "On the bench" explained

Subject: Re: "On the bench" explained
From: MAGGIE SECARA <SECARAM -at- MAINSAVER -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:22:50 -0800

I knew what the term meant, but I'm just incredibly envious. I've known
agencies to keep programmers and engineers on the bench (or on the beach, as
we used to say) but never writers. Oh, ok, once. After my first contract
ended, the agency gave me some typing around the office at some ridiculous
wage, but a couple of weeks later still had nothing for me. (They didn't
like handling writers. They said, and this is a direct quote: "We don't want
that kind of business." As if tech writers were pornographers, or
something!) And they cut me loose.

For me, when a contract is over, there are regrets and good wishes all
around, and they do look, but that's it. Even the one who found me the
inCREDible "long term" contract at a fabulous rate--which evaporated when 2
weeks later the client changed their mind! Wham. I was on the street, as
opposed to the beach, for a month before a totally different agency--one I'd
never done business with before, in fact--placed me in my the current
position.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I go with the agency that finds me the
work. Period.

Maggie
in sunny but chilly So. California
secaram -at- mainsaver -dot- com

Compendium of Common Knowledge (downloadable version available!)
http://ren.dm.net

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=