Re: Photography credits

Subject: Re: Photography credits
From: Sella Rush <sellar -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 16:36:33 -0800

Think of photographs as you would your own writing. If you wrote a poem and
published in a literary mag, which someone buys, how reasonable would you be
if you found it on a web site credited to the person who bought it?

Better example: Say you, a poet, write an ode to your ex-boyfriend and
presented it to him on his birthday. Three years later, you discover Ode to
Joe on a web site or in a mag, with the phrase "Property of Joe Bloe". Are
you happy?

Obviously, it matters primarily if the photographer derives value from a
credit. But I remember those early days as a writer (and even a brief stint
as a photographer) how difficult it was to get any respect for my work. I
remember how nervewracking it was to assert that my work had any value, and
how willing virtually everyone was to trample on it without thinking. These
days I make a point to give artists respect for their work, even
(especially!) when they don't stand up for it.

Sella Rush
mailto:sellar -at- apptechsys -dot- com
Applied Technical Systems (ATS)
Bremerton, Washington