Re: Single Source Print and HTML in Word 2000

Subject: Re: Single Source Print and HTML in Word 2000
From: Steve Riley <SRILEY -at- BCT-SYSTEMS -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 10:13:16 -0000

Amy Janczy wrote:
> Has anyone tried the beta version of Word 2000? According to
> Microsoft's bombastic white paper, Word 2000 is supposed to
> provide "round trip" HTML conversion ability. I am seeking
> a solution to maintaining a large printed document and an
> extensively hyperlinked HTML version. At the moment, this
> document is in Word.

Hi Amy

I have a single source method that sounds a
bit like your situation. We create documents
in Word 97 using a template with a limited
no of Styles. This is then sent through
Weblite, a similar product to HTML Transit
(which I've also looked at).

We set Weblite up to map Word styles to HTML
tags and yes, it does maintain the hyperlinks.
We go to compiled HTML (.chm format) but you
could equally produce individual HTML files.

I've seen the Word 2000 beta briefly but not
had chance to work through our method with it.
If I understand you right, I'm thinking along
the same lines as you. It may miss out the
translation phase of Weblite/HTML Transit
and produce decent quality HTML code itself.
The point about Word97 producing non-standard
HTML was correct (but I guess you knew that<g>)

I believe either HTML or XML is core to Word
2000 documents rather than an add-on
translation of the document, as it was in 97.

If this helps, let me know. I'd be interested
in talking to you if you're making the same
sorts of decisions.

Stephen Riley, Windows Development
BCT Business Systems Ltd
p: +44 (0)1925 732325
f: +44 (0)1925 732323
e: sriley -at- bct-systems -dot- co -dot- uk
http://www.childrenforpeace.org

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=