Re: Single Source Print and HTML in Word 2000

Subject: Re: Single Source Print and HTML in Word 2000
From: Mark Dando <danmcc -at- OZEMAIL -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 10:45:35 +1100

Steve Riley wrote:

>We create documents
>in Word 97 using a template with a limited
>no of Styles. This is then sent through
>Weblite, a similar product to HTML Transit
>(which I've also looked at).
>
>We set Weblite up to map Word styles to HTML
>tags and yes, it does maintain the hyperlinks.
>We go to compiled HTML (.chm format) but you
>could equally produce individual HTML files.
>
>I've seen the Word 2000 beta briefly but not
>had chance to work through our method with it.
>If I understand you right, I'm thinking along
>the same lines as you. It may miss out the
>translation phase of Weblite/HTML Transit
>and produce decent quality HTML code itself.
>The point about Word97 producing non-standard
>HTML was correct (but I guess you knew that<g>)
>
>I believe either HTML or XML is core to Word
>2000 documents rather than an add-on
>translation of the document, as it was in 97.

My client is looking at options for posting documents produced in Word on an
intranet initially -- and ultimately on an extranet so that a small group of
customers can access them.

Currently the in-house consensus appears to be to be in favour of using the
PDF format rather than HTML for viewing the documents on-line. I would be
very interested in hearing any comments on the advantages of HTML or
compiled HTML (which I had not previously heard of) over PDF in these
circumstances.

Many thanks in advance,
Mark Dando
Dando McCredie Pty Ltd