Re: Alternative to "option" for dialog box options

Subject: Re: Alternative to "option" for dialog box options
From: Christina Downs <DOWNS -at- SERVICEWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 08:44:13 -0500

Following are the standards we use where I work:

We use the following terms for the options/components/whatever inside dialog
boxes:
button
box - for fields, where you type something
list box - for a list of items to choose from, usually with an up-and-down
scroll bar
drop-down list box - for combo boxes (with an arrow to click so the list
drops down or up)
radio button - circle, must select one or the other, not more than one in
a group
check box - square, can select as many as you want in a group

Examples of each:
Click the 'OK' button to save your changes and close the dialog box.
Type a name for the file in the 'File name' box.
Select the style you want to use from the 'Styles' list box.
Select a color for the line from the 'Color' drop-down list box.
In the 'Orientation' group, select either the 'Portrait' radio button or
the 'Landscape' radio button.
In the 'Effects' group, select the 'Underline' check box.

I've also seen 'text box', 'combo box', and 'option button' used for some of
these.

If you need me to further clarify any of the above, feel free to e-mail me
privately. Hope this was helpful! Thanks.

Chris
Christina M. Downs
Technical Writer, Content Development, ServiceWare Inc.
333 Allegheny Avenue, Oakmont, PA 15139
Phone: 412-826-1158 x225 Fax: 412-826-0577