Re: Using Word's versioning feature

Subject: Re: Using Word's versioning feature
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 10:38:59 -0600

In our previous episode, Stacy Schneider said:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to find any information about Microsoft Word 97s versioning
> feature. We are thinking of using it to maintain versions of and comment on
> Word files shared by four tech writers. Word's Online Help was brief and
> uninformative, and I didn't find anything more extensive on their support
> web site. Can anyone point me in the direction of complete documentation on
> Word's versioning feature? Any thoughts on versioning with Word?

It's fine for maintaining a master document and noting who made what
changes. It's okay for importing changes from people and comparing
versions.

But -- if you use tables extensively and compare versions, Word is
_not_ a suitable tool. If Word notes a change in a table, it marks
the entire row where the change occurred as deleted, and a new version
of the row (with change) as added. You have to look for yourself to
find the change -- and there's no way to tell if it's one or many.

Beth Friedman bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
When you're shooting the rapids is _not_ the time for a long
multimedia presentation on the engineering dynamics of
rapids-shooting, complete with bitter arguments between proponents of
two different theories of fluid dynamics.
-- Patrick Nielsen Hayden

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=