TR: Readability indices, take II

Subject: TR: Readability indices, take II
From: CASSIN Gilles <GCassin -at- MEGA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 15:40:09 +0100

Geoffrey Hart wrote:
<In fact, relying on overly short
<sentences can compromise readability by making the text too
<choppy and hindering the efficient flow of thought. I'm
<unaware of any readability index that addresses these issues.
I was amazed the first time I found a readability test in Word. As I
work in French, I never saw such a weird thing : Word explanation quoted
: (206,835 - (1,015 x moyenne de mots par phrase) - (84,6 x moyenne de
syllabes par mots).//average number of words per phrase - average number
of syllables per word//
As a matter of fact, such tests, together with grammatical checks, were
the best tools for automatic fun generation. But that was before
automated translation...
Gilles CASSIN
mailto:gcassin -at- mega -dot- com
+33 1 42 75 40 22
"Le rouge est une couleur proche du bleu, mais pas trop" P. Desproges
My opinions are mine, and neither you nor my company can take credit for
them. YOU can cite them if you think they were of use.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=