FW: Copyrighting a style?

Subject: FW: Copyrighting a style?
From: "Moore, Tracey" <TMoore -at- PARKERVISION -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 11:28:13 -0500

Tracey here again. I consulted a lawyer a while back on an issue totally
unrelated to technical communication, and this is what I found out:

Just because someone copyrights something, doesn't necessarily mean they
own exclusive rights to it. If you go to court, the plaintiff has to
prove two of the following:

that their copyrighted material is unique,
that your use of it caused them financial distress, and
that a REASONABLE person can mistake your item/product for theirs
(misrepresentation).

Why I didn't think to apply that to technical documentation, I'll never
know. Was it early in the morning or something?

Thanks!!

<<Based on my reading of current copyright law, a design has
to be truly distinct before it qualifies for copyright protection;>>

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=