Re: OK,new topic: How long does it take for a template to become stable

Subject: Re: OK,new topic: How long does it take for a template to become stable
From: ddavis <ddavis -at- DIAC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 14:45:11 -0700

John:

Prioritize, man!

I work for a big, big company, and our hard-copy templates go through many,
many (many) reviews before they ever go to print. Some of them have taken years
to develop. Inevitably, though, some reviewer will still comment on the layout
during a technical review. You can't please everybody, ever.

If you have a template that works for now, concentrate on the content. Make
notes of others' comments on the template. Toward the end of the project,
decide which of the comments (if any) you should incorporate.

dd

John Posada wrote:

> Let's say you are creating a template from scratch, as
> opposed to ripping it off from a previous
> contract/position. :-)
>
> You are at a new position, you are seeing the SW for
> the first time as you are writing about it.
>
> Major undertaking, maybe 200-300 pages, 10-12 sections.
> No Style Guide.
>
> How long does it take for your template to settle down?
> You know the drill...you create the template as you
> see fit, maybe takes you 2-3 days. You then start
> cranking out pages and showing them to interested
> parties. Now the comments start coming in...
>
> NO, not the comments about how you've written something
> incorrectly and here's the right way...but instead,
> "Gee, can you change the spacing between bullets? Can
> you move the header to the left about a tenth of an
> inch? The type is kinda small. Do you have to go 4
> levels of TOC? I want it to look like it was done in
> Word. I want it to look like a MAN page. I want it
> 8-1/2 by 11, I want it 6 by 9 etc., etc., etc."
>
> Granted, you may use or not use any of the
> suggestions...except the ones from your boss' boss'
> boss. However, just how long does it take before they
> stop noticing the font style of the header and that
> what you just wrote about may end up ripping someone's
> arm off?
>
> John Posada

> From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=