Re: Favorite/Recommended Fonts

Subject: Re: Favorite/Recommended Fonts
From: ddavis <ddavis -at- DIAC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 20:42:02 -0700

I don't know about "favorites," but there has been a great deal of research on
the readability and reading speed of text typed in seriff vs. sans-seriff fonts
and also online vs. hard copy. I'm sorry I don't know names of studies or
researchers off hand, but try a search engine at your local research library.

The seriff vs. sans-seriff results are mixed, but they stand about 70-30 in
favor of seriff fonts in the U.S. and the opposite in Europe.

The justification for using seriff fonts is that the seriffs (the little
curly-cues on the ends of the letters) help your eye recognize the shape of
whole words, rather than having to recognize each letter individually. This
theory makes good sense to me, and I'm sure your clients won't know the
difference.

dd

Steve Rasnic Tem wrote:

> A couple of clients have asked me if there have been any surveys/studies
> concerning the best fonts and font sizes to use in user manuals, for
> body text and for headings. I'm not aware of any myself. Has anyone
> heard of such a survey or research?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve Tem
> Steve Rasnic Tem
> email: tems -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com
> 2500 Irving St.
> Denver, CO 80211
> fax: 303-477-9259
>
> From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==