Re: Styles for User Guides

Subject: Re: Styles for User Guides
From: Kenneth Mauro <kmauro -at- AMERITECH -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 13:00:32 -0500

Sharon Burton-Hardin wrote:

... And I regularly steal good or interesting ideas I see elsewhere! I
will not
> have all the good ideas!

Not to pick on Sharon, but I've been reading the comments on templates
and wondering what all the discussion is about, since we all do what she
freely admits.

Over time, a little judicious borrowing by everyone improves the look,
organization and usability of documentation across the board. The better
ideas take root and what once may have been considered good falls by the
wayside, replaced by the better way. We all contribute to the
evolutionary process.

I don't see a problem with essentially recycling a template for another
customer's job, as long as it does the job for that customer. No, I
wouldn't intentionally steal a design just to make my life easier on
another job; on the other hand, I do believe most writers strive for
something different more as a matter of pride and professionalism than
strict ethical considerations.

Ken Mauro
Independent Contractor
Schaumburg (Chicago) IL