Re: Styles for User Guides

Subject: Re: Styles for User Guides
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 10:13:55 -0700

> > First, DID the client pay for a template, or did
> they
> > pay for some documents, done in a style with which
> > they were (corporately) comfortable?

> > Unless I'm way off base, here, a template is a
> layout
> > plus the "mechanical" contrivances necessary to
> > implement that layout with a particular tool (or
> family of tools).
>

> I'd say it is pretty clear the company paid for
> them, since it
> paid for the work hours it took to create them.

No, the company paid for the delivered manual. With
exception, how I got there is my business, and in
fact, may be my competitive advantage when I bid for
the next contract.

If I customize the interface of my Word program (that
I bought with my money) to create faster/better/cooler
documntation during my contract and being paid, do
they own my copy of Word? Do I have to remove the
buttons and macros?

If I learn a new technique for creating an index that
make me twice as fast, even though I learned it while
being paid, do they own my knowledge? I'll share it
with them, but when I go to the next contract, I'm
going to use that knowledge to create their index in
half the time again.

Why is the template automaticaly part of the
deliverable. I say, that unless the template IS the
deliverable, then the template is part of the program.
===
John Posada
Western Union International
(w) jposada -at- westernunion -dot- com