Re: Contractors' skills

Subject: Re: Contractors' skills
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 10:37:47 -0700

Hi, Diana.

> If I think I'm lacking in online help, I'll look for
> a contract that has a
> concentration in that area. In this way, I'm
> continualy upgrading my
> weakness.

When I said that I look for an assignment with a
concentration in an area that I'm weak in, I didn't
mean that it would be the primary requirement, but
something that comes with the job that offers me the
most in that area.

For instance...the position I'm at, the primary
requirement is to create a hard copy document that
will be included with the software. However, during
the interview, it was revealed to me that one of the
plans for the software was to have online help. This
was my opportunity to strengthen that skill and made
the position even more appealing.

However, it was my hard copy document experience that
they were interested in.

> What do contractors do about continuing education?
> Do you take courses,
> teach yourselves on your own time, or look for
> contract work where you can
> learn on the job? I'm interested in taking some
> formal courses, but so far,
> I've been held back by their expense and the loss of

I KNOW!!!...nothing personal to the others on this
list that do training (and here come the flames), but
I cannot believe the prices that they get for 2-3 day
training courses...$700, 800...$1,400!!! Put 10 people
in a class, that's $14,000 for 36 hours work. That's
almost $400 per hour! Man, good country, this America!

> billable hours. Do
> other contractors think the benefits outweigh the
> costs?

Obviously, not me :-)

> If you don't have valid training or skills in a
> particular technology, how
> do you sell yourself to a potential client? My

Depends on the situation. I may make it clear that I
usualy get $50 per hour, but since I'm looking for
additional experience, I'll take $45. They then know
that soon they will be getting a $50/hr calibur writer
at a discount.

Sometimes they bite, and sometimes they don't
===
John Posada
Western Union International
(w) jposada -at- westernunion -dot- com