Re: Question re: Contracting Experiences LONG RESPONSE

Subject: Re: Question re: Contracting Experiences LONG RESPONSE
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 12:10:19 -0700

> things in my life, I'm not 100% committed to
> limiting myself to JUST
> developing the skill set surrounding tech writing --
> feels too restrictive,
> just like knowing only buggy whips. I *want* to
> learn programming
> languages, databases, etc. Not because I want to do

There's nothing wrong with a technical writer wanting
to learn programming. However, it is not possible to
learn EVERYTHING about the skill. Therefore,
concentrate on learning the part about programming
that does the most to enhance your value as a tech
writer.

> ** And so the short answer seems to be this: If the
> goal is to focus on
> being a very good technical writer, and that's the
> area where you're
> "hunkering in" with your career, then the
> frustrations aren't quite the
> same, maybe, as what I'm experiencing.

I was at an interview and I was asked the dreaded
"What do you want to be in five years?"

My answer.."I want to be the best damn tech writer
anyone on the beach in Jamaica has ever seen!"

===
John Posada
Western Union International
(w) jposada -at- westernunion -dot- com