Ancient Codes: Make them gasp (was: salary first )

Subject: Ancient Codes: Make them gasp (was: salary first )
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 18:15:57 -0700

I am going to reveal an ancient negotiation proverb (salaries and rates
especially). This was handed to me from my father by way of my grandfather.

"Make them gasp."
- Paul C. Plato

What does that mean? It means the answer to all negotiations is to make the
other party gasp when they hear your rate/salary. If you think $65,000 a year
is fair, tell them you want $80,000. Make your offer outrageous enough to throw
them off balance.

I am not saying you'll get it, but it sends a clear message to the other party:
you're in this to win.

A good HR negotiator always lowballs people. You would be AMAZED at how many
people work for less than they could probably get. Likewise, there are plenty
of people who strut in the door and think they are God's Gift to Technical
Communciations and quote outrageous rates.

The trick is to be cool and flexible. When I see someone is nervous, I know
they are either screwing me or themselves. Just say what you want and be
prepared to negotiate. Mostly, NEVER undersell yourself. Overselling yourself
is better, but be prepared for reality. You might THINK you're worth $100 an
hour. That does not mean the market agrees with you.

Lastly, don't pay any attention to STC salary surveys. These things are a have
nothing to do with reality. I saw one that said junior writers should be making
$65,000 a year. Yeah, maybe in pesos.

Andrew Plato
President / Principal Consultant
Anitian Consulting, Inc.
www.anitian.com

--- Anonymous User <anonfwd -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM> wrote:
> Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

> I've recently interviewed at several companies, and in each case, the
> hiring manager has asked "How much do you want?" Some of them asked
> at the beginning of the interview, some have asked in a follow-up
> chat after the interview.
>
> Professional recruiters tell me a) whoever mentions a number first
> loses the negotiation b) we ask so we can see what the market is
> without bothering to do research (!).
>
> I've tried such responses as, "What am I worth to your company?"
> or, "What ballpark are you playing in?" They respond with,
> "I don't know what our budget is for this (then how will they know
> if I am in the same region they are?) until I talk to the Head
> Budgeteer." or, "We have promoted from within for so long we don't
> know what the market is." or, "We have a broad range of salaries, so
> I don't know yet what we can offer you." The only possible answer
> I can think of is, "I want as much as I can get." and, if really
> pressed, to name a high but not astronomical figure.
>
> The latest one is a company that won't entertain further discussion
> or make an offer until I fill out their application form, and they
> won't look at the application until I put a number in the box.
>
> What do you do when pressed for a number? How do I handle this without
> screwing myself out of a good salary? Or out of an offer? What if I
> say, "Make me an offer and I'll let you know." Yes, I've checked the
> STC survey for this area, and I know enough of other writers' salaries
> here to know that the range is wide, and many hiring managers don't
> have a clue what I should be worth (gets back to the old "tech-comm
> pro vs. glorified secretary" discussion too). I also know that what I
> start with will affect my income for as many years as I stay with a
> company, as those raises are only tiny percentage increments no
> matter how valuable you are.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=