Re: Hooray!! I successfully negotiated telecommuting benefit thingies!!!

Subject: Re: Hooray!! I successfully negotiated telecommuting benefit thingies!!!
From: Michelle Vina-Baltsas <Michelle_Vina-Baltsas -at- US -dot- CRAWCO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 10:28:59 -0400

Pam,

Congratulations! I work at home one day a week and it's wonderful!!! Honestly,
I only see one downside to only working at home. It can be a bit lonely if you
don't go to the office at all. Having some contact with the members in the
branch office I work at (I am a corporate resource for our home office in
Atlanta, but I work in New Jersey) benefits me because it keeps me up to date
with what the clients are clamoring for, and helps me feel less disconnected.
Fortunately, my commute is only a half hour, so I don't mind.

When I initially started working at home it was also due to health issues, which
I'm happy to say are not an issue anymore. I've continued to work at home and
it does make a tremendous difference waking up in the morning and not having to
do the "morning shuffle" to get to work.

I keep track of my daily tasks for my boss so if she asks me, I can provide it
for her. I'm happy to say, that my work is done when promised (even when I work
at home) and fortunately, that's really all my boss cares about. Yes, I know,
I'm very lucky!!

Good luck and take care of yourself because that's what's really important.

Regards,
Michelle

Pamela Jasper <JISCorp -at- AOL -dot- COM> on 04/13/99 06:49:06 PM

Please respond to JISCorp -at- aol -dot- com

To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
cc: (bcc: Michelle Vina-Baltsas/CRAWFORDCO/US)
Subject: Hooray!! I successfully negotiated telecommuting benefit
thingies!!!

Hi All,

I am so happy that my recent request for telecommuting privileges were
granted by my current contractual client!! I live in south Jersey and commute
2 to 2.5 hours one way to Metrotech Brooklyn for a lucrative tech
writing/management contract.

Spending 4-5 hours a day or 20+ hours weekly was making me miserable, and I
seriously considered other local options. I recently completed a contract in
Japan and am not yet ready to move back to New York. I had been recently
diagnosed with a thyroid problem and to improve my health, I need to cut down
on stress.

Now to make up lost time, if God could just give me more money, a boss
makeover, a corner office, an introduction to my future husband before the
end of the millenium and access to the company lear jet (I am a pilot), I'd
be even happier! For now I'll just settle for having my life back.

If anyone does this or has done this before, could you tell me what's
good/bad and any suggestions for making the work-at-home process work? My
manager is sympathetic but has a great need (perhaps rightfully so) to 'Feel'
like i am doing my job.

See ya....

Pam Jasper

Jasper Information Systems Corp.