Re: engineers

Subject: Re: engineers
From: jgilger_it -at- NV -dot- DOE -dot- GOV
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 10:42:31 -0700

Graham,

I am wondering if anyone can tell me the current state of the
relationship
between writers and the esteemed wizards, engineers, in
industry. I ask because
I work with a smart young woman, graduating soon with a degree
in Computer
Engineering. Yesterday she ranted on Tech Writers as "useless,
overpaid, and
not altogether capable" of understanding what she and her peers
do. Is this
typical? Or is this simply the musings of a naive young
intellect, without
exposure to the real world? Just hoping it's different in real
life.

Here is my $0.02 - I worked 20 years as an engineer, the last six or so
of those I was transitioning to technical writing, which I have been
doing for the last several years. My son just graduated with a B.S. in
Math and Computer Science. He shared your co-worker's ill-informed
attitude until we got specific about who the rant was directed toward.

A FEW tech writers MAY fit your friend's description - that's life.
SOME engineers CAN write well.

It seems like the educational system has created a bunch of elitist
attitudes in their effort to ensure everyone's good self-esteem.

The main point in this rambling is that we work as a team in the real
world. As a tech writer, you have a duty to study and understand the
product that you are documenting. Those who document software ought to
think about taking a couple of night classes in C/C++. You don't need
to become a programmer, but if you can read and generally understand the
source code you won't have as many problems with your SME's. The same
applies to documenting other technology. You need to have a decent
understanding of it to discuss it orally or in writing.

John

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=