SUMMARY: Suggestions for menu name

Subject: SUMMARY: Suggestions for menu name
From: "Parks, Beverly" <ParksB -at- EMH1 -dot- HQISEC -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 09:19:30 -0700

I received several suggestions, which were -

Administration
Hours and Contacts
Labor (w/the additional suggestion of changing Resources to Management)
Log and Roster (and variations)
Logbook
People (w/Schedules and Contacts as sub-menus)
Tools
Tracker
Tracking
Workbook

My programmer is out sick today and tomorrow and I'd want to discuss the
options with him before making a decision. However, I'm personally leaning
toward Tools (submitted by Walter and Gilles).

Labor and Admin were two ideas we tossed around here before I posted my
question to the list. I wasn't happy with Labor because it has a demeaning
connotation. As for Admin, there is already an Admin menu option that is
only visible to those with system administration privileges and we didn't
really want to change that. (I didn't mention the Admin option in my
original post because of its visibility only to a very limited audience. I
should have included it... sorry.)

In the Projects section of the software there is a function to create
something called a "workplan" (and the workplan is actually an important
document produced by the software), so for obvious reasons Workbook wouldn't
work.

The multi-word suggestions are limiting. What happens if in the future we
add a third option there? Also, we purposely try to keep main menu options
to single words. (That's another thing I woulda/shoulda mentioned in my
original post had I thought of it.)

I don't mean to criticize any suggestions; I am thankful for all of them! I
just thought my comments on why some wouldn't work for us would maybe give
others another perspective when faced with the same dilemma.

My sincere thanks to everyone who contributed: Jan Boomsliter, Rebecca
Bowes, Gilles Cassin, David Castro, Connie, Walter Hanig, Geoff Hart, Ted
Hornoi-Centerwall, Chris Ketcham, and Kathy Northcut. As usual, TECHWR-Lers
come through to help a fellow listee! :)

Bev

[Background snipped]

> THE QUESTION: Does anyone have a suggestion for what to name the main menu
> item that contains Labor Log and Roster, other than the current name of
> Personnel?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=