Two way street (was engineers, arrogance, etc.)

Subject: Two way street (was engineers, arrogance, etc.)
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 21:29:33 -0700

You know, there are just as many arrogant engineers as there are arrogant tech
writers.

I can think of a handful of writers I've worked with who were unbelievable
blow-hards. No, that's not scientific proof, but it is common sense.

My current favorite is this guy who told me in an interview he had too much
experience to work on-site with a client. It went something like this:

GUY: "I've been writing for 8 years, I don't need to work on-site."

ME: "Most of our jobs require a contractor to work on-site."

GUY: "Well, that's fine for less experienced writers, but I don't work that
way. If a client wants my work, they have to work with me."

What was really funny about this guy is that he really did not have that much
experience. Because he ran an STC SIG (probably the Smug Writers SIG) and had
a plaque somewhere, he got it in his head that the world needed him more than
he needed the rest of us.

So, before you condemn engineers to arrogant jerks, take a look around. There
is a good reason some engineers think all writers are useless, overpaid,
non-technical, losers. Many writers are.

Andrew Plato
President / Principal Consultant
Anitian Consulting, Inc.
www.anitian.com