Re: Monster manual--indexing

Subject: Re: Monster manual--indexing
From: Jan Boomsliter <boomah -at- CONCENTRIC -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 11:34:44 -0700

I thought I was on a hot trail, but . . .. I went to an STC site,
http://stc.org/Resources.html, which has seven listings; however, three of the
links don't work and two are for indexing products. The other two are Canadian
and Australian societies of indexers. Give it your best shot.

Does anyone have the name of the indexing guru who used to be active on this
list? She published, held workshops, was active in STC. I've been looking for
her for a while, no dice.

Jan

Maaike Groenewege wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> Here's a little sequel to my post from last week-- the one in which I
> introduced my current project, the rewriting of a monster reference manual.
>
> I'm getting more and more familiar with the existing manual and I've found
> that its biggest defect (there's about a zillion others, but I won't bother
> you with them....yet!) is the lack of good indexes. I'm fairly new to
> indexing large, complex documents like this one, so I've decided that I'm
> going to perform a bit of research in this area.
>
> I've found one title on indexing so far, Bonura's "The art of indexing", but
> since it's not readily available here, I'll have to order it from some
> exotic place like the USA *s* Before I do this, can anybody tell me what
> they think of the book? Any other recommendations?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Maaike Groenewege
> Tech Writer
> Mediasystemen b.v., a Triple P company
> Bloemendaal
> The Netherlands
>
> mgr -at- mediasys -dot- nl
> http://www.mediasys.nl
>
> From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

begin:vcard
n:Boomsliter;Jan
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Fax 408 871-0481 Voice 408/378-6093;Writing is easy. Getting source material is hard.
version:2.1
email;internet:boomah -at- concentric -dot- net
title:Senior Technical Writer
x-mozilla-cpt:;-19984
fn:Jan Boomsliter
end:vcard