templates for SRS and SDD

Subject: templates for SRS and SDD
From: A Watkins <awatkins -at- POBOX -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 04:40:22 -0500

If you're looking for templates to produce documents to IEEE
standards, I doubt that you'll find them legally. These
standards are published and distributed by IEEE
(http://www.ieee.org). I also found hardcopies at Brown
Technical Books, a huge technical bookstore in Houston
(http://www.brownbookshop.com). They are not inexpensive,
and since they are reviewed and revised every few years, you
buy a SUBSCRIPTION so that you can get the updates. From
what I've seen, the updates aren't usually all that
different, so having a hardcopy of the current standard
might work. They're cheaper if you're a member of IEEE. You
might even be invited to participate on a reviewing
committee.

The only resource I can think of that MIGHT have Word
templates for these docs in any version is Requisite Pro
(http://www.rational.com), or maybe one of Rational's other
products.

That having been said, and not knowing why you want them,
I'll add that I used to write these docs in a previous life,
and a template would not have really been helpful. The main
idea is to follow the IEEE standards for their content and
format. Basically, they are outlines with guidelines on what
should be included and to what detail.

Here's a tip: Before I got my company to purchase them, I
found many university sites on the Web that published
documents written to the standards. I was able to pull the
outlines from the documents and use them as a basis for
mine. It was a good way to get started, although no
substitute for having the current standards with all the
detail and explanation.

Regards and good wishes --

Alfred Aldo Watkins
Senior Technical Scribe
Cooperative Computing, Inc.
mailto:awatkins -at- pobox -dot- com (here)
mailto:alfredw -at- coop -dot- com (there)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=