Describing Source Code

Subject: Describing Source Code
From: Dattatreya <datta -at- WIPINFO -dot- SOFT -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 19:56:19 +0530

Dear Techwriters,

I am presently reviewing documents that pertain to describing how a piece
of C code works. The document will eventually reach an audience of
developers who will eventually use this document to re-engineer code.
Therefore, every single functionality is explained in detail. I wanted to
know if we can have the following construction:

"Only when HHcnommi==HH_ENADIR, will the algorithm allow the message to be
sent to the HEH."

This is similar to

"Only if I see a blue car, will I open the gate."

The developers contention is that the stress should be on the consequences
first and the actions later. However, I have been arguing that the above
constructions negate the rules of English.

Am I right with this argument. Please reply me offline. I shall summarise
it for the rest if I find some interesting stuff.

Thanks for the help.

Regards.
M S Dattatreya

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=