Re: Gender Issues

Subject: Re: Gender Issues
From: Kevin McLauchlan <KMcLauchlan -at- CHRYSALIS-ITS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 15:25:40 -0400

Hey, it wasn't an issue of "PC", but I swear I've been taken to
task for using the word "rear"... as in, "at the rear of the machine",
or "move the assembly to the rear of the enclosure and lift".

I responded by replacing all occurrences of "rear" with "rump".

I'm not kidding.

Kevin McLauchlan
kmclauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com (aka kevinmcl -at- netrover -dot- com)
Techy writer, duffer skydiver, full-time unrepentant chocoholic

[snip
> I'll give you an example:
> Our audience consists of maintenance personnel in the mass transit
> industry, 99% of which are male (and as you can imagine, they don't give a
> s_ _t about the subject) . We were asked not to use the word Trip Cock to
> describe a particular type of valve. For those of you who are not familiar
> with the term, the word "cock" is perfectly acceptable in this milieu,
> much
> like the word "niggardly" is perfectly acceptable when used correctly.

[snip]

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=