Re: transferring a website

Subject: Re: transferring a website
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 15:54:31 -0400

> From: Melonie Holliman [mailto:melonie -dot- holliman -at- TXEXMTA4 -dot- AMD -dot- COM]
> Has anyone transferred a website onto CD?
No, but I transfer web sites between web servers and hard disks regularly.
A CD acts like a read-only hard disk.

> What did you use?
Just the OS. Copy the files.

> What type of problems did you encounter?
Links can be a problem unless they are relative.
A link like <a href="http://www.mydomain.com/mypage.html";> won't work
if mypage.html is on a CD.
A link like <a href="/mypage.html"> will only work if
mypage.html is on the root directory of the CD.

> How is it different than transferring a site to your hard drive?
It isn't. Except for the read-only characteristic.

> Do I need to include a browser?
Can you assume your user has a browser already?
If you can't make that assumption, maybe HTML isn't
the way to go.

> If so, will it have to be licenced?
Yes.

> We have a company trying to charge us BIG bucks to
> do this for us. I just cannot believe it is that hard of a
> process.
It isn't if the links are nice and relative. If they aren't, it
can be a bit of a pain. Someone will have to go through and
check/fix all the links. Shouldn't be a big problem, though,
a good search/replace should make it pretty simple, if
tedious.

---
Office:
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Home:
nax -at- execpc -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=