Educating Rita

Subject: Educating Rita
From: Sarah Stegall <stegall -at- TERAYON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 10:53:09 -0700

Okay, her name's not really Rita, but let's use
that name anyway. She's a software
developer/engineer who works for us. Mainly she
writes code. Recently she started working on a
new version of a software product, and has asked
me for a copy of some technical illustrations from
an old manual to use in devising the interface for
the product. This is where the light bulb over my
head went on: she's designing a user GUI with no
previous training or experience, just basing her
design on what she's seen and worked with before.
I would very much like to get my oar in before the
development of this interface goes too far, so
that we don't get some god-awful color scheme like
last time, or confusing button labels (OK and
Accept on the same screen)etc.

My question: What's an effective way to approach
a touchy, rather defensive SME to offer help in
designing a GUI? Nothing that smacks of implied
criticism will work; she's very thin-skinned.
Also, her command of English is less than
perfect. Any suggestions would be very much
appreciated. Thanks.

S Stegall

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=