Re: Educating Rita

Subject: Re: Educating Rita
From: Sam Buttice <sbuttice -at- TRANSPORT -dot- BOMBARDIER -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 08:48:37 -0400

Well Andrew,

As usual, your message is loud and clear. I agree with the overall point
you are trying to make; they design, we write, PERIOD. The person who
posted the original message may be a little overzealous in her wish to
share her knowledge/experience, and indeed should be careful before playing
in somebody else's yard. Her desire to help may be misinterpreted as
butting in.

However, this doesn't mean she shouldn't share her knowledge, just be
careful HOW she shares it. IMO, the difference between a good TW and a bad
one is the amount of effort they put into the "product" not just the
documentation. If there were some serious problems with the original
product, a good TW would try to improve the product in order to improve the
manuals. In this case good programmers/designers should be open-minded
enough to understand that they are not being told how to program, but how
to improve the product and not repeat the same mistakes someone before
them made. How they write and structure their code is their business,
that's not what the users see.

Sounds like I've contradicted myself a little bit doesn't it? That's
because with experience, a writer will learn how and when to butt-in. Those
that just sit and type all day and don't give a damn what they are writing,
are just walking word processors.

Sam Buttice

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=