Re: Scalding vat of liquid tungsten, please (was Educating Rita)

Subject: Re: Scalding vat of liquid tungsten, please (was Educating Rita)
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 11:17:26 -0500

> The
> "user-advocacy" concept assumes that you as a tech writer have some
> unique
> vision into the mind of users. The truth, you have no better vision than
> the
> next guy - engineers included.

Two things are wrong with this statement.

First, we have (once again) a sweeping generalization based on the
erroneous assumption that everyone here spends their days writing
instructions for hardware or software that was developed by engineers.
This is not true.

Second, the fact that the tech writer is a user advocate does not mean
the engineer is not. Don't go looking for slights that aren't there; it
only makes you look paranoid. ;-) In an ideal organization (and ideal
world), they should both be user advocates. In a bad organization,
neither is the user advocate. And in a *really* bad organization, they
*brag* about not being the user advocate (been there done that).

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Curriculum & Instructional Materials Center
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=